Health claims on ingredients for functional foods and food supplements are important to the consumer, especially so for food supplements in tablet or capsule form that cannot convince the consumers through taste, but through their physiological effect only.
As of July 1 2007, the requirements for nutrient and health claims are regulated by the Health Claims Regulation (EC 1924/2006). Health claims must be evaluated by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and authorized by the EU Commission prior to their use.
Through years of work in this field, a&r’s consulting unit gained substantial experience in developing claim strategies, especially with respect to the scientific requirements of EFSA for the substantiation of health claims but also regarding the development of a convincing product concept using generic health claims or nutrition claims.
a&r’s services include:
- Development of a tailor-made health claim strategy and roadmap for your product
- Gap analyses of relevant data incl. food characterisation, pre-clinical and clinical data and evaluation of the potential to convince EFSA
Recommendations for the scientific substantiation of the desired health claim
- Advice on the possibility to protect proprietary data
Assessment and evaluation of study protocols with regard to EFSA-relevant requirements, including reporting of studies or study statistics
- Planning of EFSA-relevant clinical studies for the scientific substantiation of the health claim
- Preparation and submission of a health claim dossier to EFSA including:
Statements based on new scientific data (Art. 13.5)
- Statements concerning reduction of a health risk (Art. 14)
- Statements concerning the development of children (Art. 14)